Larry Ellison is an American businessman, entrepreneur, and philanthropist who is a co-founder and the executive chairman and chief technology officer (CTO) of Oracle Corporation. Similarly, as of October 2019, he was listed by Forbes magazine as the fourth-wealthiest person in the United States. Likewise, as the sixth-wealthiest in the world, with a fortune of $69.1 billion, increased from $54.5 billion in 2018.
Larry Ellison was born in New York City, to an unwed Jewish mother. His biological father was an Italian American United States Army Air Corps pilot. After Ellison contracted pneumonia at the age of nine months, his mother gave him to her aunt and uncle for adoption. He did not meet his biological mother again until he was 48.
Ellison moved to Chicago’s South Shore, then a middle-class neighbourhood. Moreover, he remembers his adoptive mother as warm and loving, in contrast to his austere, unsupportive, and often distant adoptive father, who had adopted the name Ellison to honour his point of entry into the United States, Ellis Island.
While working at Ampex in the early 1970s, he became influenced by Edgar F. Codd’s research on relational database design, which led in 1977 to the formation of what became Oracle.
Career in Oracle since 1977–1994
During the 1970s, after a brief stint at Amdahl Corporation, Ellison began working for Ampex Corporation. His projects included a database for the CIA, which he named “Oracle”. Moreover, Ellison was inspired by a paper written by Edgar F. Codd on relational database systems called “A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks”. Since 1977, he founded Software Development Laboratories (SDL) with two partners and an investment of $2,000; $1,200 of the money was his.
Ellison has been married and divorced four times:
- Adda Quinn from 1967 to 1974.
- Nancy Wheeler Jenkins from 1977 to 1978. They married six months before Ellison founded Software Development Laboratories. In 1978, the couple divorced. Wheeler gave up any claim on her husband’s company for $500.
- Barbara Boothe from 1983 to 1986. Boothe was a former receptionist at Relational Software Inc. (RSI). They had two children, David and Megan, who are film producers at Skydance Media and Annapurna Pictures, respectively.
- Melanie Craft, a romance novelist, from 2003 to 2010. They tied a knot on December 18, 2003, at his Woodside estate. Ellison’s friend Steve Jobs, former CEO and co-founder of Apple Inc., was the official wedding photographer, and Representative Tom Lantos officiated. They divorced in 2010. Similarly,
Ellison made a brief cameo appearance in the 2010 movie Iron Man 2. Since 2010, Ellison purchased a 50% share of the BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament. Further, Ellison owns many exotic cars, including an Audi R8 and a McLaren F1. Moreover, his favourite is the Acura NSX, which he was known to give as gifts each year during its production. Ellison is also reportedly the owner of a Lexus LFA.
- Full Name: Lawrence Joseph Ellison
- Date of Birth: August 17, 1944
- Age: 75
- Birth Place: New York City, New York, U.S.
- Residence: Woodside, California, U.S.
- Nationality: American
- Alma mater: University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, University of Chicago
- Occupation: Executive chairman and CTO of Oracle Corporation
- Years active: 1966–present
- Known for Co-founder and former CEO of Oracle Corporation
- Spouse(s): Adda Quinn (m. 1967; div. 1974), Nancy Wheeler Jenkins (m. since 1977; div. 1978), Barbara Boothe (m. 1983; div. 1986), Melanie Craft (m. 2003; div. 2010)
- Children: David Ellison, Megan Ellison
- Salary: $41.5 million (since 2017)
- Net worth: US$69.1 billion (since October 2019)
CV Read More Darius Slay
Reference Larry Ellison