Dylann Roof is an American white supremacist and mass murderer convicted for perpetrating the Charleston church shooting on June 17, 2015 in the U.S. state of South Carolina.
During a prayer service at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Roof killed nine people, all African Americans, including senior pastor and state senator Clementa C. Pinckney, and injured one other person. Similarly, after several people identified Roof as the main suspect, he became the center of a manhunt that ended the morning after the shooting with his arrest in Shelby, North Carolina. He later confessed that he committed the shooting in hopes of igniting a race war.
Roof was born in Columbia, South Carolina, to Franklin Bennett (called Bennett) Roof, a carpenter and a construction contractor, and Amelia “Amy” Cowles, a bartender. His parents had divorced but were temporarily reconciled at the time of his birth. When Roof was five, his father tied a knot to Paige Mann (née Hastings) in November 1999. Similarly, they divorced after ten years of marriage. Roof has two siblings, an older half sister and a younger sister, Morgan Roof. Bennett Roof was allegedly verbally and physically abusive toward Mann. The family mostly lived in South Carolina, though from about 2005 to 2008. Similarly, they temporarily moved to the Florida Keys. There is no information about Roof attending local schools there.
Dylann Roof is the first person in U.S. history to have faced both a state and federal death penalty at the same time. In September 2015, it was announced Roof would face capital punishment. And that was in his state prosecution, and in May 2016, the U.S. Department of Justice announced Roof would face capital punishment in his federal prosecution as well.
- Full Name: Dylann Storm Roof
- Date of Birth: April 3, 1994 (age 25 years), Columbia, South Carolina, United States
- Penalty: Death (federal); Life imprisonment (state)
- Location(s): Charleston, South Carolina, U.S
- Date: June 17, 2015; c. 9:05 p.m. – c. 9:11 p.m
- Books: The Last Rhodesian: The Manifesto’s of Dylann Roof
- Parents: Franklin Bennett Roof, Amelia Cowles
- Known for Perpetrator of the June 17, 2015 Charleston church shooting
- Motive: White supremacy, desire to start a race war
- Conviction(s): December 15, 2016 (federal), April 10, 2017 (state; agreed to plead guilty on March 31, 2017)
- Penalty: Death (federal), Life imprisonment (state)
- Target(s): African American churchgoers
- Killed: 9
- Injured: 1
- Weapons: Glock 41 .45-caliber handgun
CV Read More Jim Miller
Reference Dylann Roof