Roger Stone is an American political consultant, author, lobbyist, and convicted felon known for his use of opposition research. Moreover, in November 2019, subsequent to the Mueller Report and Special Counsel investigation. Further, he was convicted on seven counts, including witness tampering and lying to investigators, related to his work for the Trump campaign. He awaits sentencing.
Early life and political work
Stone was born on August 27, 1952, in Norwalk, Connecticut, to Gloria Rose (Corbo) and Roger J. Stone. Similarly, he grew up in Lewisboro, New York, in a family of Hungarian and Italian descent. Likewise, his mother was a small-town reporter, his father a well driller and business owner. Further, he has described his family as middle-class, blue-collar Catholics.
Similarly, Stone said that as an elementary school student in 1960, he broke into politics to further John F. Kennedy’s presidential campaign: “I remember going through the cafeteria line and telling every kid that Nixon was in favor of school on Saturdays … It was my first political trick.”
Career in 1970s
Stone’s political career began in earnest on the 1972 Nixon campaign, with activities such as contributing money to a possible rival of Nixon in the name of the Young Socialist Alliance – then slipping the receipt to the Manchester Union-Leader. Additionally, he also hired a spy in the Hubert Humphrey campaign who became Humphrey’s driver. According to Stone, during the day he was officially a scheduler in the Nixon campaign, but “By night, I’m trafficking in the black arts. Nixon’s people were obsessed with intelligence.” Stone maintains he never did anything illegal during Watergate.
Personal style and habits
Stone does not wear socks – a fact that Nancy Reagan brought to her husband’s attention during his 1980 presidential campaign. Likewise, Labash described him as “a dandy by disposition who boasts of having not bought off-the-rack since he was 17”, who has “taught reporters how to achieve perfect double-dimples underneath their tie knots”. Washington journalist Victor Gold has noted Stone’s reputation as one of the “smartest dressers” in Washington.
- Full Name: Roger Joseph Stone Jr.
- Date of Birth: August 27, 1952
- Age: 67 years
- Birth Place: Norwalk, Connecticut, U.S.
- Education: George Washington University (non-graduate)
- Political party: Republican (before 2012, since 2015–present), Libertarian (2012–2015)
- Criminal charge(s): Witness tampering, Obstructing an official proceeding, Making false statements to Congress
- Criminal status: Convicted; awaiting sentencing
- Spouse(s): Anne Wesche (m since 1974; div. 1990), Nydia Bertran (m since 1992)
- Spouse: Nydia Stone (m. 1992), Ann Stone (m. 1974–1990)
- Books: Stone’s Rules: How to Win at Politics, Business, and Style, etc.
- Children: Adria Stone, Scott Stone
- Net Worth: N/A
CV Read More Diane Ladd
Reference Net Worth of Roger Stone